Re: WAL segments (names) not in a sequence - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sergey Konoplev
Subject Re: WAL segments (names) not in a sequence
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM, German Becker <german.becker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me describe the process I follow to get to this. What I am doing is
> testing a migration from 8.3 to 9.1. They way I plan to do it is the
> following.
> 1) Create the schema
> 2) import the biggest tables, which are not updated,only growing, with COPY
> (this is about 35gb of data)
> 2)import the small, changing part of the data
>

> The target system is 9.1 with streaming relication.
> For steps 1 and 2, I set a "restore" configuration, that amongs other things
> like more work mem, it sets archive_mode=off and wal_level=minimal (attached
> the difference between restore and normal).
> The archive_command is just a cp wrapped in a shell script in case I need to
> change it.

You can not migrate between any major versions with WAL based or
streaming replication.

Use either full dump/restore or schema only dump/restore plus trigger
based replication (londiste, slony) to migrate data.

--
Kind regards,
Sergey Konoplev

Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
Phone: USA +1 (415) 867-9984, Russia +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
Skype: gray-hemp
Jabber: gray.ru@gmail.com