Re: Dropping a column on parent table doesn't propagate to children? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sergey Konoplev
Subject Re: Dropping a column on parent table doesn't propagate to children?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Moshe Jacobson <moshe@neadwerx.com> wrote:
> 1. If I want the inherited table's columns indexed the same way as the
> parent, must I create new indexes on the inherited table?

You must. Indexes are not inheritable.

> 2. If I move the inherited table to a new schema, will its indexes also be
> moved into the new schema?

They will be.

> 3. Any difference in behavior regarding check constraints, schemas, indexes,
> etc that I should be aware of between inherited tables created with pure
> inheritance as opposed to "like <parent_table>"?

AIU you mean pure inheritance vs inheritance + pure LIKE. In this case
I do not see any.

>> > Also, another question about the docs. The syntax for the ALTER TABLE
>> > command starts as follows:
>> >
>> > ALTER TABLE [ ONLY ] name [ * ]
>> >
>> > What is the asterisk? It is not explained anywhere on that page.

As I was told in IRC:

RhodiumToad: grayhemp: opposite of ONLY, only present for historical
reasons since it's the default and has been for decades

so nothing important.