Re: statement_timeout doesn't work - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sergey Konoplev
Subject Re: statement_timeout doesn't work
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM, David G Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   query       | BEGIN;
>> SET LOCAL statement_timeout TO 1000;
>> DROP INDEX public.idx1;
>> ALTER INDEX public.idx2 RENAME TO idx1;
>> END;
>
> If I read this correctly you sent the entire begin...end as a single
> compound statement and so, depending on how you did this, the actual SET
> LOCAL command never got executed since the entire command is waiting for the
> necessary locks before it can be executed.

Right, I send it as a single command.

> Your sample test doesn't appear to correctly exercise this behavior.  Are
> you maybe using -c in the problem case?  Or a client library besides psql
> that would behave in this manner?

In this case I use DBD::Pg, but I haven't found any notes about such
kind of behavior.

> Note that the fact that "query" is a compound statement is why I claim the
> above...

So, If I separate the commands everything will will work as expected, correct?