Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zhihong Yu
Subject Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 9:09 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 6:03 PM Zhihong Yu <zyu@yugabyte.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> For v35-0007-Prepare-foreign-transactions-at-commit-time.patch :

Thank you for reviewing the patch!

> With this commit, the foreign server modified within the transaction marked as 'modified'.
>
> transaction marked -> transaction is marked

Will fix.

> +#define IsForeignTwophaseCommitRequested() \
> +    (foreign_twophase_commit > FOREIGN_TWOPHASE_COMMIT_DISABLED)
>
> Since the other enum is FOREIGN_TWOPHASE_COMMIT_REQUIRED, I think the macro should be named: IsForeignTwophaseCommitRequired.

But even if foreign_twophase_commit is
FOREIGN_TWOPHASE_COMMIT_REQUIRED, the two-phase commit is not used if
there is only one modified server, right? It seems the name
IsForeignTwophaseCommitRequested is fine.

> +static bool
> +checkForeignTwophaseCommitRequired(bool local_modified)
>
> +       if (!ServerSupportTwophaseCommit(fdw_part))
> +           have_no_twophase = true;
> +   if (have_no_twophase)
> +       ereport(ERROR,
>
> It seems the error case should be reported within the loop. This way, we don't need to iterate the other participant(s).
> Accordingly, nserverswritten should be incremented for local server prior to the loop. The condition in the loop would become if (!ServerSupportTwophaseCommit(fdw_part) && nserverswritten > 1).
> have_no_twophase is no longer needed.

Hmm, I think If we process one 2pc-non-capable server first and then
process another one 2pc-capable server, we should raise an error but
cannot detect that.

Then the check would stay as what you have in the patch:

  if (!ServerSupportTwophaseCommit(fdw_part))

When the non-2pc-capable server is encountered, we would report the error in place (following the ServerSupportTwophaseCommit check) and come out of the loop.
have_no_twophase can be dropped.

Thanks

Regards,

--