Re: "could not find pathkey item to sort" for TPC-DS queries 94-96 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zhihong Yu
Subject Re: "could not find pathkey item to sort" for TPC-DS queries 94-96
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 6:27 PM Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On 4/15/21 7:35 PM, James Coleman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 5:33 AM Luc Vlaming <luc@swarm64.com> wrote:

>>> This really goes back to [1] where we fixed a similar issue by making
>>> find_em_expr_usable_for_sorting_rel parallel the rules in
>>> prepare_sort_from_pathkeys.
>>>
>>> Most of those conditions got copied, and the case we were trying to
>>> handle is the fact that prepare_sort_from_pathkeys can generate a
>>> target list entry under those conditions if one doesn't exist. However
>>> there's a further restriction there I don't remember looking at: it
>>> uses pull_var_clause and tlist_member_ignore_relabel to ensure that
>>> all of the vars that feed into the sort expression are found in the
>>> target list. As I understand it, that is: it will build a target list
>>> entry for something like "md5(column)" if "column" (and that was one
>>> of our test cases for the previous fix) is in the target list already.
>>>
>>> But there's an additional detail here: the call to pull_var_clause
>>> requests aggregates, window functions, and placeholders be treated as
>>> vars. That means for our Aggref case it would require that the two
>>> Aggrefs be fully equal, so the differing aggsplit member would cause a
>>> target list entry not to be built, hence our error here.
>>>
>>> I've attached a quick and dirty patch that encodes that final rule
>>> from prepare_sort_from_pathkeys into
>>> find_em_expr_usable_for_sorting_rel. I can't help but think that
>>> there's a cleaner way to do with this with less code duplication, but
>>> hindering that is that prepare_sort_from_pathkeys is working with a
>>> TargetList while find_em_expr_usable_for_sorting_rel is working with a
>>> list of expressions.

Yeah, I think it'll be difficult to reuse code from later planner stages
exactly because it operates on different representation. So something
like your patch is likely necessary.

As for the patch, I have a couple comments:

1) expr_list_member_ignore_relabel would deserve a better comment, and
maybe a reference to tlist_member_ignore_relabel which it copies

2) I suppose the comment before "if (ec->ec_has_volatile)" needs
updating, because now it says we're done as long as the expression is
not volatile (but we're doing more stuff).

3) Shouldn't find_em_expr_usable_for_sorting_rel now mostly mimic what
prepare_sort_from_pathkeys does? That is, try to match the entries
directly first, before the new pull_vars() business?

4) I've simplified the foreach() loop a bit. prepare_sort_from_pathkeys
does it differently, but that's because there are multiple foreach
levels, I think. Yes, we'll not free the list, but I that's what most
other places in planner do ...

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Hi,

            if (!expr_list_member_ignore_relabel(lfirst(k), target->exprs))
-               break;
+               return NULL;

I think it would be better if list_free(exprvars) is called before the return.

Cheers