Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zhihong Yu
Subject Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
For v32-0002-postgres_fdw-supports-commit-and-rollback-APIs.patch :

+   entry->changing_xact_state = true;
+   entry->changing_xact_state = abort_cleanup_failure;

I don't see return statement in between the two assignments. I wonder why entry->changing_xact_state is set to true, and later being assigned again.

For v32-0007-Introduce-foreign-transaction-launcher-and-resol.patch :

bq. This commits introduces to new background processes: foreign

commits introduces to new -> commit introduces two new

+FdwXactExistsXid(TransactionId xid)

Since Xid is the parameter to this method, I think the Xid suffix can be dropped from the method name.

+ * Portions Copyright (c) 2020, PostgreSQL Global Development Group

Please correct year in the next patch set.

+FdwXactLauncherRequestToLaunch(void)

Since the launcher's job is to 'launch', I think the Launcher can be omitted from the method name.

+/* Report shared memory space needed by FdwXactRsoverShmemInit */
+Size
+FdwXactRslvShmemSize(void)

Are both Rsover and Rslv referring to resolver ? It would be better to use whole word which reduces confusion.
Plus, FdwXactRsoverShmemInit should be FdwXactRslvShmemInit (or FdwXactResolveShmemInit)

+fdwxact_launch_resolver(Oid dbid)

The above method is not in camel case. It would be better if method names are consistent (in casing).

+                errmsg("out of foreign transaction resolver slots"),
+                errhint("You might need to increase max_foreign_transaction_resolvers.")));

It would be nice to include the value of max_foreign_xact_resolvers

For fdwxact_resolver_onexit():

+       LWLockAcquire(FdwXactLock, LW_EXCLUSIVE);
+       fdwxact->locking_backend = InvalidBackendId;
+       LWLockRelease(FdwXactLock);

There is no call to method inside the for loop which may take time. I wonder if the lock can be obtained prior to the for loop and released coming out of the for loop.

+FXRslvLoop(void)

Please use Resolver instead of Rslv

+           FdwXactResolveFdwXacts(held_fdwxacts, nheld);

Fdw and Xact are repeated twice each in the method name. Probably the method name can be made shorter.

Cheers