Re: Worse performance with higher work_mem? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin
Subject Re: Worse performance with higher work_mem?
Date
List pgsql-general
Updating the stats can be done via vacuum or analyze command,

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-analyze.html.   To just analyze a table typically does not take much time. and can be scheduled to run so the stats update instead of waiting on auto-vacuum to deal with it  which could be some time on an insert only table

Seeing the difference in speed between first run with low work memory vs high work memory with parallelization,  I suspect the temp tables never actually got written to disk they just hung out in the OS IO cache.

The query in all examples is hung up doing Index scan and running the avg() aggregate.

Maybe you can look at creating summary table for time periods to work against,  maybe a Weekly or Daily summary of these values could cut down on the number of records being processed.  It would not affect the result