Re: POC PATCH: copy from ... exceptions to: (was Re: VLDB Features) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Damir Belyalov
Subject Re: POC PATCH: copy from ... exceptions to: (was Re: VLDB Features)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
FWIW, Greenplum has a similar construct (but which also logs the errors
in the
db) where data type errors are skipped as long as the number of errors
don't
exceed a reject limit.  If the reject limit is reached then the COPY
fails:

>       LOG ERRORS [ SEGMENT REJECT LIMIT <count> [ ROWS | PERCENT ]]

IIRC the gist of this was to catch then the user copies the wrong input
data or
plain has a broken file.  Rather than finding out after copying n rows
which
are likely to be garbage the process can be restarted.

I think this is a matter for discussion. The same question is: "Where to log errors to separate files or to the system logfile?".
IMO it's better for users to log short-detailed error message to system logfile and not output errors to the terminal.

This version of the patch has a compiler error in the error message:
Yes, corrected it. Changed "ignored_errors" to int64 because "processed" (used for counting copy rows) is int64.

I felt just logging "Error: %ld" would make people wonder the meaning of
the %ld. Logging something like ""Error: %ld data type errors were
found" might be clearer.

Thanks. For more clearance change the message to: "Errors were found: %".

Regards, Damir Belyalov
Postgres Professional
Attachment