Re: Mystery SELECT * query - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andrew Puschak
Subject Re: Mystery SELECT * query
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
Andrew Puschak <apuschak@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've inherited a web service on a Windows server that connects to
> a Postgres database. There is a "SELECT * FROM" query below that
> runs a long time and appears to happen whenever there is a web
> service update. I'd like to eliminate or limit it but I have to
> find it first.

The first thing I would look at is whether the software stack on
your web server includes some sort of table cache which is being
invalidated by each update.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Hi Kevin,

I have not had access to the web server yet, the owner works on it with the developer but knowledge is limited there and this was setup years ago. I can see if I can get access or ask the developer but this might not happen. I'm told it might be using ODBC to connect, I'm not familiar with Windows, I'm a linux admin. I'll look up table caching and see if we can find it there.

Thanks for your help,
Andrew