Re: Skipping schema changes in publication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From vignesh C
Subject Re: Skipping schema changes in publication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 4:46 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 4:17 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 12:19 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > For the second syntax (Alter Publication ...), isn't it better to
> > > avoid using ADD? It looks odd to me because we are not adding anything
> > > in publication with this sytax.
> >
> > I was thinking of the scenario where user initially creates the
> > publication for all tables:
> > CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR ALL TABLES;
> >
> > After that user decides to skip few tables ex: t1, t2
> >  ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 ADD SKIP TABLE t1,t2;
> >
> > I thought of supporting this syntax if incase user decides to add the
> > skipping of a few tables later.
> >

> I understand that part but what I pointed out was that it might be
> better to avoid using ADD keyword in this syntax like: ALTER
> PUBLICATION pub1 SKIP TABLE t1,t2;

Currently we are supporting Alter publication using the following syntax:
ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 ADD TABLE t1;
ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 SET TABLE t1;
ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 DROP TABLE T1;
ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 ADD ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA sch1;
ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 SET ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA sch1;
ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 DROP ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA sch1;

I have extended the new syntax in similar lines:
ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 ADD SKIP TABLE t1;
ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 SET SKIP TABLE t1;
ALTER PUBLICATION pub1 DROP SKIP TABLE T1;

I did it like this to maintain consistency.
But I'm fine doing it either way to keep it simple for the user.

Regards,
Vignesh