Re: Logical Replication of sequences - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From vignesh C
Subject Re: Logical Replication of sequences
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 5 Jun 2024 at 14:11, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 9:13 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 8:56 PM Yogesh Sharma
> > <yogesh.sharma@catprosystems.com> wrote:

> > > This is similar to option 1 except that it is a SQL command now.
> > >

> > Right, but I would still prefer a command as it provides clear steps
> > for the upgrade. Users need to perform (a) Replicate Sequences for a
> > particular subscription (b) Disable that subscription (c) Perform (a)
> > and (b) for all the subscriptions corresponding to the publisher we
> > want to shut down for upgrade.
> >

> Another advantage of this approach over just a plain tool to copy all
> sequences before upgrade is that here we can have the facility to copy
> just the required sequences. I mean the set sequences that the user
> has specified as part of the publication.

Here is a WIP patch to handle synchronizing the sequence during
create/alter subscription. The following changes were made for it:
Subscriber modifications:
Enable sequence synchronization during subscription creation or
alteration using the following syntax:
CREATE SUBSCRIPTION ... WITH (sequences=true);
When a subscription is created with the sequence option enabled, the
sequence list from the specified publications in the subscription will
be retrieved from the publisher. Each sequence's data will then be
copied from the remote publisher sequence to the local subscriber
sequence by using a wal receiver connection. Since all of the sequence
updating is done within a single transaction, if any errors occur
during the copying process, the entire transaction will be rolled
back.

To refresh sequences, use the syntax:
ALTER SUBSCRIPTION REFRESH SEQUENCES;
During sequence refresh, the sequence list is updated by removing
stale sequences and adding any missing sequences. The updated sequence
list is then re-synchronized.

A new catalog table, pg_subscription_seq, has been introduced for
mapping subscriptions to sequences. Additionally, the sequence LSN
(Log Sequence Number) is stored, facilitating determination of
sequence changes occurring before or after the returned sequence
state.

I have taken some code changes from Tomas's patch at [1].
I'll adjust the syntax as needed based on the ongoing discussion at  [2].

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/09613730-5ee9-4cc3-82d8-f089be90aa64%40enterprisedb.com
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1K2X%2BPaErtGVQPD0k_5XqxjV_Cwg37%2B-pWsmKFncwc7Wg%40mail.gmail.com

Regards,
Vignesh