CREATE COLLATION without LOCALE throws error in v15 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kyle Spearrin
Subject CREATE COLLATION without LOCALE throws error in v15
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,
I wanted to report a bug with the CREATE COLLATION query in Postgres 15.

The following query works in Postgres 12-14:

CREATE COLLATION "postgresIndetermanisticCollation" (LC_COLLATE = 'en-u-ks-primary',
    LC_CTYPE = 'en-u-ks-primary',
    PROVIDER = icu,
    DETERMINISTIC = False
);

However, in Postgres 15 we see the following error:

ERROR: parameter "locale" must be specified

Changing the query to following resolves the issue:

CREATE COLLATION "postgresIndetermanisticCollation" (LOCALE = 'en-u-ks-primary',
    PROVIDER = icu,
    DETERMINISTIC = False
);

According to the docs here, we should be able to execute this query either way (as is evident when testing in versions 11-14).

This causes problems with queries generated by our Entity Framework Core ORM tool that uses npgsql. We don't have control to change the way the COLLATION query is created, therefore preventing us from supporting Postgres 15.

--
Kyle Spearrin

Follow Bitwarden on social media: