Re: How to execute the sql file in PSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark
Subject Re: How to execute the sql file in PSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Actually, a single quotation will work.
 \ir  'C:\\Program Files\\PostgreSQL\\12\\demo-big-en-20170815.sql'
But I don't know why a single quotation will work.
It would be very helpful if you guys can explain to me.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 9:31 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On 10/5/20 7:55 AM, Mark wrote:
>> I followed one PostgreSQL tutorial step by step. One session to use PSQL
>> to execute sql files to create a new database in PostgreSQL.
>> 1.   copy  paste the sql file within "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\12"
>> directory.
>> 2.   execute the following code \i  C:\\Program
>> Files\\PostgreSQL\\12\\demo-big-en-20170815.sql
>>
>> Failed
>> The message shows C:: Permission denied

> The issue is the user you are running psql as does not have permissions
> to read the file. This is a OS permissions thing. Either run psql as a
> user that can read the file or change the permissions on the file to
> those that allow the psql user to read it.

... or more likely, put the SQL file in a saner place.  Dropping random
files into a program directory can only lead to trouble.  You should
treat such directories as read-only unless you know exactly what you
are doing.

It seems likely to me that this failure stems from PG being installed
with permissions settings that prevent it from reading/modifying its own
executables, which is good solid security practice.

(If the tutorial actually told you to do that, the tutorial's author
is utterly clueless.)

                        regards, tom lane