Re: pg_dump multi VALUES INSERT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Surafel Temesgen
Subject Re: pg_dump multi VALUES INSERT
Date
Re: pg_dump multi VALUES INSERT  (David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 2:29 PM David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 at 19:29, Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000@gmail.com> wrote:
> this happen because i don't disallow the usage of --inserts  and --rows-per-insert
> option together.it should be error out in those case.i correct it in attached patch

I don't think it should be an error. It's not like the two options
conflict. I imagined that you'd need to specify you want --inserts and
optionally could control how many rows per statement that would be put
in those commands. I'd be surprised to be confronted with an error for
asking for that.

if you specified --inserts option you already specified the number of rows per statement which is 1 .
if more than one rows per statement needed it must be specified using --rows-per-insert
and specifying one row per statement using --inserts option at the same time specify
different number of rows per statement with --rows-per-insert option seems conflicting to me.

It might be worth doing the same as what we do if --column-inserts is
specified without --inserts. In this case we just do:

/* --column-inserts implies --inserts */
if (dopt.column_inserts)
dopt.dump_inserts = 1;

If you do it that way you'll not need to modify the code much from how
I wrote it. We can likely debate if we want --rows-per-insert to imply
--inserts once there's a working patch.

version 3 of the patch work in similar way except it doesn't have two option.

regards
Surafel