Re: BUG #15324: Non-deterministic behaviour from parallelised sub-query - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Marko Tiikkaja
Subject Re: BUG #15324: Non-deterministic behaviour from parallelised sub-query
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi Amit,

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 2:09 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 7:10 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, one idea could be that we detect this in
>> max_parallel_hazard_walker during the very first pass it performs on
>> query-tree.  Basically, in the SubLink node check, we can detect
>> whether the subselect has Limit/Offset clause and if so, then we can
>> treat it as parallel_unsafe.  I have tried that way and it prohibits
>> the parallel plan for the reported queries.  However, I think more
>> analysis and verification is required to see if it can happen in any
>> other related cases.
>

> This seems broken as well:
>
>     create table qwr(a int not null, b int not null, c text not null);
>     insert into qwr select i, i, (select prosrc from pg_proc where
> oid=11734) from generate_series(1, 128000) i;
>     set parallel_setup_cost to 0;
>     analyze qwr;
>     select count(*) from qwr where (a, b) in (select a, row_number() over()
> from qwr);

I am getting below error in above steps:

postgres=#     insert into qwr select i, i, (select prosrc from
pg_proc where oid=11734) from generate_series(1, 128000) i;
ERROR:  null value in column "c" violates not-null constraint
DETAIL:  Failing row contains (1, 1, null).

Sorry, try this instead:

 insert into qwr select i, i, (select prosrc from pg_proc where oid='ts_debug(regconfig,text)'::regprocedure) from generate_series(1, 128000) i;

.m