Re: json api WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Will Leinweber
Subject Re: json api WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
I suspect both of those are pretty safe from an SQL standards point of
view.  Of course, as Tom is often wont to point out, the SQL standards
committee sometimes does bizarre things, so nothing's perfect, but I'd
be rather shocked if any of those got tapped to mean something else.

That having been said, I still don't see value in adding operators at
all.  Good old function call notation seems perfectly adequate from
where I sit.  Sure, it's a little more verbose, but when you try to
too hard make things concise then you end up having to explain to your
users why \ditS is a sensible thing for them to type into psql, or why
s@\W@sprintf"%%%02x",ord($&)@e in Perl.  I recognize that I may lose
this argument, but I've worked with a couple of languages where
operators can be overloaded (C++) or defined (ML) and it's just never
seemed to work out very well.  YMMV, of course.

For what my opinion is worth I absolute agree with just having function names. The -> in hstore is kind of nice, but it lead me to a whole lot of greif when I couldn't figure out how to create an index using it (turns out you have to use _double_ parens, who knew?), but could create an index on fetchval and assumed that postgres would figure it out.

Also a for quite a while it felt just like incantation of when I'd need parens around those operatiors or not. Now that I sorta-kinda-not-really understand the operation precedence rules in postgres/sql standard, I've mostly given up on using cute operators because their much more of a pain on a day-to-day basis.