Re: Transfer db from one port to another - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Killian Driscoll
Subject Re: Transfer db from one port to another
Date
Re: Transfer db from one port to another  (Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 23 December 2015 at 11:36, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
On 12/23/2015 2:25 AM, Killian Driscoll wrote:
Sorry, forgot to add: once I get the warning that the Pg_dump can't be found there is then a password prompt; I tried the db password and the pc password but both fail:

Password:
pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to database "irll_project" failed: FATAL:  p
assword authentication failed for user "killian"

note that databases don't have passwords, database USERS have passwords.  'killian' probably doesn't have a database user, and since you didn't specify a user, it defaulted to your system username (expecting that user to have been created in postgres, and wanting that probably non-existant postgres users passsword)

so, ok, try the command with -U postgres, as
pg_dump -Fc -p 5432 -U postgres irll_project | pg_restore -U postgres -p 5532
OK - I did the dir and it shows that the dump and restore.exe are there, but running the above gives the below errors

09/06/2014  08:35           381,952 pg_dump.exe

09/06/2014  08:35           180,224 pg_restore.exe

C:\Users\killian>path "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin";%path%

C:\Users\killian>pg_dump -Fc -p 5432 -U postgres irll_project | pg_restore -U po
stgres -p 5532
ccoulould not findd a n "pg_restore" to executeot find a "pg_dump" to execute

pg_restore: [archiver] did not find magic string in file header
pg_dump: [custom archiver] could not write to output file: Invalid argument

if/when it prompts for a password, thats the password of the 'postgres' database user, as configured in the postgres servers.

note it will prompt for the password a couple times,  once for postgres on port 5432, and again for postgres on port 5532, at least if both database services are configured to require passwords for local connections.