Re: File System backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From itishree sukla
Subject Re: File System backup
Date
Re: File System backup  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
yes, when i tried to start, postgresql service using init.d its gave me the error  removed stale pid, postgresql failed to start.

Regards,
Itishree

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
> itishree sukla <itishree.sukla@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Can any one give me more suggestion, about this problem. Every
>> time my os got restart, postmaster.pid is missing.

The pid file should only be present when postgres is running.  A
clean OS shutdown should stop postgres, which should result in the
pid file being deleted.

> Did you perhaps use reboot instead of shutdown -r? The former
> doesn't do a clean shutdown. That's how it is on *BSD at least, I
> don't know about Linux but I assume it behaves the same.

No, `reboot` actually calls `shutdown -r now` in the distros I've
used, including Ubuntu; unless you run it with the --force option.

> Check the logs to see if there are any errors when postgres tries
> to start up. It could be something as simple as a library version
> mismatch, or it could be data corruption in the database files.

Right, checking the log files is the thing to do.  Adding or
deleting a pid file is just about never the right thing to do.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company