Re: PostrgeSQL vs oracle doing 1 million sqrts am I doing it wrong? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Roberto Mello
Subject Re: PostrgeSQL vs oracle doing 1 million sqrts am I doing it wrong?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:

> Since that is outside the loop, the difference should be nominal;

Apologies. I misread on my phone and though it was within the loop.

> and in a quick test it was.  On the other hand, reducing the
> procedural code made a big difference.

<snip>

> test=# DO LANGUAGE plpgsql $$ DECLARE n real;
> BEGIN
>   PERFORM SQRT(f) FROM generate_series(1, 10000000) x(f);
> END $$;
> DO
> Time: 3916.815 ms

That is a big difference. Are you porting a lot of code from PL/SQL,
and therefore evaluating the performance difference of running this
code? Or is this just a general test where you wish to assess the
performance difference?

PL/pgSQL could definitely use some loving, as far as optimization
goes, but my feeling is that it hasn't happened because there are
other suitable backends that give the necessary flexibility for the
different use cases.

Roberto