Re: Trigger function failure - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sándor Daku
Subject Re: Trigger function failure
Date
List pgsql-novice

On 7 March 2016 at 07:43, Michael Rowan <michael.rowan3@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a trigger function problem that threatens to cause my early demise.  Please someone help an absolute novice.

I have two tables, invoice and invline, with the usual functions.

Table invoice has a column for the total of debit lines, and a column for the total of credit (payment) lines.  The function is triggered by any change in inv.gross

The ERROR occurs if there are no invline found by either summing part, where we set dr_total or cr_total.
If I change "sum" to "count" it works as expected, returning 0.00

--THE FUNCTION
UPDATE invoice SET
invoice.cr_total = (
SELECT
sum(invline.gross)
FROM invline
WHERE invline.type > 4 AND invline.invoice_id = 200003
)
,
        invoice.dr_total = (
SELECT
sum(invline.gross)
FROM invline
WHERE invline.type <5 AND invline.invoice_id = 200003
)
WHERE invoice.id = 200003;

--TEST
select invoice.dr_total, invoice.cr_total from invoice where invoice.id=200003

ERROR:  null value in column "po_cr_total" violates not-null constraint

Anyone?

Mike

There is a difference between the behaviour of sum and count. Count returns the number of found records(0 in this case) while sum returns the sum of the given expression from the found records. And anything plus null is always null in Postgres.
However you can use  the coalesce function which returns its first non-null argument to ensure a non null result.

SELECT
coalece(sum(invline.gross), 0)
FROM invline
WHERE invline.type > 4 AND invline.invoice_id = 200003

or

invoice.cr_total = coalesce((SELECT
sum(invline.gross)
FROM invline
WHERE invline.type > 4 AND invline.invoice_id = 200003),0)

Regards,
Sándor