Re: Storing products in multiple, deeply nested category tables. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sándor Daku
Subject Re: Storing products in multiple, deeply nested category tables.
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 23 March 2016 at 12:37, Kurt R Marquardt <marqkdsade@gmail.com> wrote:
I apologize but I am truly a noob with Postgresql.

I am using the following platform~

Apache 2.4.18
Postgresql 9.4.6-1
PHP 7.0.4
PHPPgAdmin 5.1
Image Magic 6.9.2-0
ModSecurity 2.9.0
git 2.5.1

I am developing an e-commerce site with a very dynamic vendor.  They provide an XML datafeed to completely update inventory twice per day and update inventory status every 15 minutes.  The first part of the file is a list of 200+ categories (all parent). I need to convert that to about eight deeply nested (five to six deep in some cases) categories.  An example would be Men's>Accessories>Jewelry>Watches>Sport>Aviator.  Almost all products fall into two categories and some five or six.  What is the best way to set up the tables to support this?  If I have six category fields in my catalogue file there would be a lot of empty fields.  I am thinking about creating different "parent" tables but that would require more joins and I am trying to make this as efficient and fast as possible.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Somebody on this list has already recommended Bill Karwin's book, SQL Antipatterns.
The Naive Trees chapter is almost exactly about your situation.

Regards,
Sándor

Ezt az e-mailt egy Avast védelemmel rendelkező, vírusmentes számítógépről küldték.