Re: OK to put temp tablespace on volatile storage or to omit it from backups? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yang Zhang
Subject Re: OK to put temp tablespace on volatile storage or to omit it from backups?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/5/1 Yang Zhang <yanghatespam@gmail.com>:

>>> Although it would be nice if what you said would work, I read in a recent
>>> blog post that losing any tablespace would prevent the database server from
>>> starting, even if it was only for temporary things. -- Darren Duncan
>>
>> That is unfortunate.  Good thing I asked, I guess.  Do you have a
>> pointer to said blog post?
>
> I think this is the post in question:
>
> http://thebuild.com/blog/2013/03/10/you-cannot-recover-from-the-loss-of-a-tablespace/
>
> (BTW please try not to top-post :) )

Argh, trying not to.  Old habits die hard.

The comments suggest recovery from a lost tablespace is possible.

If anyone has any details or even pointers, I'd love to dig deeper,
since this would yield some nice and economical performance gains for
us on EC2.