Re: could not link file in wal restore lines - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Zsolt Ero
Subject Re: could not link file in wal restore lines
Date
List pgsql-bugs
David, my server is a dedicated AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 2 x 1 TB NVME SSD in RAID 0, so it's indeed quite fast, especially in I/O compared to most cloud hosting options with non-local storage.

I can imagine that trying the same stress test is not triggering race conditions on most cloud servers.

I'm happy to run tests as long as they are in Docker containers, I prefer not to install anything directly on the host.

Zsolt

On 26. Jul 2022 at 13:33:09, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
On 7/26/22 02:03, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
At Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:48:14 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote in
> Ah, sorry for posting following too-early messages in the thread.
>
> At Mon, 25 Jul 2022 08:40:12 -0400, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote in
>> Your system seems to be doing recovery pretty quickly. I wonder if
>> there is a race condition in WAL recycling?

And it has been fixed by cc2c7d65fc in PG15.  That discussion [1]
concluded that we don't back-patch it.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20210202151416.GB3304930%40rfd.leadboat.com
> Does anyone prefer some alternative?  It's probably not worth
> back-patching anything for a restartpoint failure this rare, because
> most restartpoint outcomes are not user-visible.

I have responded on that thread to see if Noah can have a look and
decide if it would be worth back-patching cc2c7d65fc.

There have been other changes in this area (e.g. removing
durable_rename_excl) so it would be good to know if back-patching just
cc2c7d65fc will work.

Kyotaro, since you can reproduce the issue would you be willing to test
that?

Regards,
-David