Re: [HACKERS] Faster methods for getting SPI results - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jon Nelson
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Faster methods for getting SPI results
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 12/20/16 23:14, Jim Nasby wrote:
> I've been looking at the performance of SPI calls within plpython.
> There's a roughly 1.5x difference from equivalent python code just in
> pulling data out of the SPI tuplestore. Some of that is due to an
> inefficiency in how plpython is creating result dictionaries, but fixing
> that is ultimately a dead-end: if you're dealing with a lot of results
> in python, you want a tuple of arrays, not an array of tuples.

There is nothing that requires us to materialize the results into an
actual list of actual rows.  We could wrap the SPI_tuptable into a
Python object and implement __getitem__ or __iter__ to emulate sequence
or mapping access.

Python objects have a small (but non-zero) overhead in terms of both memory and speed. A built-in dictionary is probably one of the least-expensive (memory/cpu) choices, although how the dictionary is constructed also impacts performance.  Another choice is a tuple.

Avoiding Py_BuildValue(...) in exchange for a bit more complexity (via PyTuple_New(..) and PyTuple_SetItem(...)) is also a nice performance win in my experience.

--
Jon