Re: Too many Open files error for postgres - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Geo P.C.
Subject Re: Too many Open files error for postgres
Date
List pgsql-admin
Thanks a lot.. We are able to fix the issue with it by reducing max_files_per_process to 500 from default 1000..

This paramater "Sets the maximum number of simultaneously open files allowed to each server subprocess". So in postgres it means it reduces the number of open files limit. If possible can you please refine what it actually does?

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 7:39 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Geo P.C." <pcgeopc@gmail.com> writes:
> In Ubuntu 14.04 server on a JAVA Application we are getting Too many Open
> files error for postgres.

How many server processes are you trying to use?  I suspect you are
hitting the system-wide file table limit not the per-process limit.
Best answer might be to decrease PG's max_files_per_process setting
rather than try to persuade the kernel to increase its limit.

                        regards, tom lane