Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 2:14 AM, Jan Claeys <lists@janc.be> wrote:
On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 07:27 +0200, Chris Travers wrote:
> The real fear here is the code of conduct being co-opted as a weapon
> of world-wide culture war and that's what is driving a lot of the
> resistance here.  This is particularly an American problem here and
> it causes  a lot of resistance among people who were, until the
> second world war, subject to some pretty serious problems by colonial
> powers.

I don't see how this could happen any more than it already can, because
as far as I can tell the goal is not to discuss complaints in public;
the committee would handle cases in private.  And if committee members
would try to abuse their power, I'm pretty sure they would be removed.

Right.  I think the fears are overblown but you do have to remember that we started this whole public side of the process when there was a real effort by some in around open source to push contributor codes of conducts that were expressly political (the Contributor Covenant for example) and in the wake of Opalgate.

I do not doubt that at some point we will face the same.  I don't doubt that such efforts will be unsuccessful.  But I do think they will put the project through some public controversy and grief and so we are best off to try to minimize the attack surface.

> Putting a bunch of American lawyers, psychologists, sociologists,
> marketers etc on the board in the name of diversity would do way more
> harm than good.

I didn't say they have to be American, and I didn't say there has to be
a bunch of them.  I just said it would be good if there were also
people who aren't (just only) developers, DBAs or other very technical
people.

Ok I get what your concern is now.  I am not sure the formal qualifications matter but I would agree that the committee needs to be staffed with people we trust to be good "people people" rather than good "tech people."

--
Jan Claeys

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.