Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 8:29 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Two years ago, there was considerable discussion about creating a
Code of Conduct for the Postgres community, as a result of which
the core team announced a plan to create an exploration committee
to draft a CoC [1].  That process has taken far longer than expected,
but the committee has not been idle.  They worked through many comments
and many drafts to produce a version that seems acceptable in the view
of the core team.  This final(?) draft can be found at

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct

Reading through this, it seems like a generally useful and fair set of rules.    I want to offer some comments though about some specific issues here.

We are now asking for a final round of community comments.
Please send any public comments to the pgsql-general list (only).
If you wish to make a private comment, you may send it to
coc@postgresql.org.

The initial membership of the CoC committee will be announced separately,
but shortly.

One of the issues I see here is the issue of cross-cultural attacks, and a certain American slant on where inappropriate behavior might begin when it comes to disparaging remarks.  In my blog I covered one hypothetical about an argument via email signatures over a culture war issue like same-sex marriage for example where one side might put forth an American viewpoint and someone else might condemn sexual ethics that permit accepting homosexual contact using, say, Gandhi as an authority.

This is a serious issue.  It won't go away.  There will be, at some point, Americans trying to push these sorts of issues via email signatures and the like, and it will cause conflict.  The current code of conduct makes it very clear that the second viewpoint is not welcome, but is very ambiguous on the first viewpoint.  I.e. arguing that marriage shouldn't be a bond that binds parents to their children but solely exists for the benefit of the spouses could be a cultural attack and hence an attack on the national backgrounds of many people in the community around the world but that isn't clear.  My concern is that the current code of conduct will lead to these disputes ensuring that the CoC community gets to decide who gets to feel like they are not protected, and I think we all agree that's not what we want.

For this reason I think the introduction should be left as is, but I would suggest one of two modifications to the second section (Inclusivity):

1.  Either include culture as a part of the protected criteria to indicate that this definitely is protected and that culture-war pushing will not be tolerated any more than any other disturbance of the peace, or
2.  Note that trolling or divisive political behavior likely to threaten the peace will be dealt with as a violation of the code of conduct, or
3.  Simply demand civility and leave a lot of the examples out.

On to the code of conduct committee:

This needs to be explicitly international and ideally people from very different cultures.  This is the best protection against one small group within one country deciding to push a political agenda via the Code of Conduct.  I would recommend adding a note here that the committee will be international and culturally diverse, and tasked with keeping the peace and facilitating a productive and collegial environment.

Unless there are substantial objections, or nontrivial changes as a result
of this round of comments, we anticipate making the CoC official as of
July 1 2018.

                        regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56A8516B.8000105@agliodbs.com

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.