Re: Self referencing composite datatype - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Self referencing composite datatype
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Sameer Thakur <samthakur74@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
I wanted to create a composite datatype to represent a Node. So it would have a few attributes and an array of type Node which is the children of this node.
create type Node as (r integer, s integer, children Node []);
But i get error type Node[] does not exist. I understand that Node is not defined hence the error.
But how do i get around this problem?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  I can think of a number of ways.

For example, suppose we have a table like:

create table node (
   id int primary key,
   parent int references node(id),
   content text not null
);

We could create a function like this:

CREATE FUNCTION children(node) RETURNS node[] LANGUAGE SQL AS
$$
SELECT array_agg(node) FROM node WHERE parent=$1.id;
$$;

Then we could still do:

select n.children FROM node n WHERE id = 123;

Note that causes two separate scans, but should work.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

regards
Sameer