Re: Using Postgresql as application server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Using Postgresql as application server
Date
Re: Using Postgresql as application server
Re: Using Postgresql as application server
Re: Using Postgresql as application server
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net> wrote:

> I believe that it is ideal for Postgres to be computationally complete in
> that one *could* use it to implement a complete application.  That isn't to
> say one should do this as a matter of course, good to use appropriate tools
> for a job, but that it should at least be possible if one wanted to. --

I think the limit is actually transactional control.

So, suppose I manage inventory....

I want an email to go out to the ordering manager when the quantity I
have of an item drops below the re-order point.  I also want this
email NOT to go out if the transaction rolls back.  (Wait, the order
of 50000 widgets I just processed rolled back because it isn't to a
valid customer!  We normally only sell 50000 per year anyway.  No need
for the email.)

1)  I don't see how this is possible directly from within PostgreSQL
2)  Given the obvious ways around this, I don't see why this is
desirable to add to PostgreSQL.....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers