Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:07 AM, Jan Claeys <lists@janc.be> wrote:
On Tue, 2018-06-05 at 16:45 +0200, Chris Travers wrote:
> If I may suggest:  The committee should be international as well
> and include people from around the world.  The last thing we want is
> for it to be dominated by people from one particular cultural
> viewpoint.

Being international/intercultural certainly has some value, but I think
it's at least as useful to have people with different competencies and
professional backgrounds.

For example: having some people who have a background in something like
psychology, sociology, education, law, human resources, marketing, etc.
(in addition to the likely much easier to find developers, DBAs and IT
managers) would be valuable too.

Besides what the others have said I don't think this would help.

The real fear here is the code of conduct being co-opted as a weapon of world-wide culture war and that's what is driving a lot of the resistance here.  This is particularly an American problem here and it causes  a lot of resistance among people who were, until the second world war, subject to some pretty serious problems by colonial powers.

Putting a bunch of American lawyers, psychologists, sociologists, marketers etc on the board in the name of diversity would do way more harm than good.

--
Jan Claeys

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.