Setting up replication from 9.4 to 10.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lionel Tressens
Subject Setting up replication from 9.4 to 10.4
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

We are running a single PG 9.4 database node we are switching to PG 10.4 (which will run as master + setup of a slave)

To minimize downtime when switching from the 9.4 server to the 10.4 one, I would like to setup a replication stream instead of stopping the production, dumping 9.4 and restoring in 10.4 which my take a lot of time.

The next steps would be to reinstall the 9.4 server from scratch with 10.4 and setup this host as a slave, ready to take the master role if needed (hot standby).

Can such a replication be established between 9.4 and 10.4 and what replication tool/schema to use ? I have been through the documentation on replication in 9.4 and 10.4 but things are very confusing to me about this point.

Thanks for your tips

Lionel