Re: An article about Etsy... and a migration from Postgres to MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: An article about Etsy... and a migration from Postgres to MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Selena Deckelmann <selena@chesnok.com> wrote:

> I didn't read it that way. It seemed like a cautionary tale about
> overuse of stored procedures to express business logic in a company
> that had serious scaling and operational and communication problems
> between DBAs, sysadmins and developers. The new-hires turned to a
> technology stack that was well understood. And in the end, the article
> mentions that they still have Postgres at the core.

That's close to how I read it. However there have to be some missing
pieces because in general, my experience is that ORM's often write bad
queries and that complex operations are often easier to tune in stored
procs than in ORMs.  Could the issue have to do with caching in the
middleware?

> I see this as a wake up call that our advocacy needs to focus on the
> case studies, like that of Urban Airship, to demonstrate how to scale
> infrastructure with Postgres. Keeping this information either secret
> or difficult to find results in throwing out or scaling back use of
> Postgres.

Agreed.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers