Re: SQL Help - Finding Next Lowest Value of Current Row Value - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: SQL Help - Finding Next Lowest Value of Current Row Value
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Jeff Adams <Jeff.Adams@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a large table (~19 million records). Records contains a field
> identifying a vessel and a field containing an time (epoch). Using the
> current rows vessel and time values, I need to be able to find the next
> lowest time value for the vessel and use it to compute how much time has
> elapsed between the records. I have tried a scalar subquery in the SELECT,
> which works, but it runs quite slowly. Is there an alternative approach that
> might perform better for this type of query. Any information would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks...

How many rows per vessel?

Either way it seems to me we are talking about selecting the current
record, and then selecting the max of another record within a
timeframe.  I would probably use a plpgsql function that would do this
in two stages, ideally being able to do an index scan twice....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers