Re: Redis 16 times faster than Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Morris de Oryx
Subject Re: Redis 16 times faster than Postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Back-end web servers don't have human nervous systems. Faster response time means that a give bit of hardware can support
>  a much higher load, saving you money

Fair point, I can't argue against it as stated. Although I have no way of know if this person's site is ever overloaded or has any chance of saving money. Other sites do for sure. Not knocking using in-memory caches, they can be a life-saver.

Like everyone else here, I've been to a lot of meetings down the year that came down to arguing about optimizations that could not pay for themselves before the heat death of the universe. As such, I've developed an allergy to context-free performance comparisons.