Re: UUID v1 optimizations... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Morris de Oryx
Subject Re: UUID v1 optimizations...
Date
List pgsql-performance
Here's what I was thinking of regarding disk space:

That's the kind of low-level detail I try not to worry about, but like to have in the back of my mind at least a little. If I read it correctly, a fixed-length field is going to be marked as present with a bit, and then inlined in the row storage without any extra cost for an address. So not much in the way of extra overhead. Spending the space on a field, reduces the compute needed to constantly perform extracts on the UUID field to access the same information.

But that particular trade-off is an ancient discussion and judgement call, you know your requirements and constraints better than anyone else. So, I'll leave it at that.