Re: Basic Question on Point In Time Recovery - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Inder
Subject Re: Basic Question on Point In Time Recovery
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for your comments (so far:-)

I guess I'm pleased that nobody has said that I'm doing something stupid!

I'll certainly look at Slony and Barman.

And Stephane's suggestion of doing regular basebackups and keeping the
WAL files seems neat.  If I under stand it, we'd use the/a standby
server to "replay" the entire installation up to the point when the
problem occurs, and then use pg_dump to dump just the database we
need.

I'm wondering just how the size of a day's worth of WAL files would
compare to a whole slew of hourly dumps.

The other issue would be how long the "replay" would take.  But, I
realise, that's not a major concern: the delay would only be seen by a
client that
had had a major problem.  Everyone else would see service as normal.

I think I'll be doing some experiments to find out:-)

Robert.

--
Robert Inder,
Interactive Information Ltd,   3, Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 9HH