Re: .pgpass and root: a problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: .pgpass and root: a problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Shaun Thomas <sthomas@optionshouse.com>wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> We're wanting to implement a more secure password policy, and so have
> considered switching to LDAP/Active Directory for passwords. Normally, this
> would be fine, but for two things:
>
> 1. Tons of our devs use .pgpass files to connect everywhere.
> 2. Several devs have root access to various environments.

I would love to see pgpass storing encrypted stuff here, that'd be great...
in the meantime...

 Is there any way that you could move your 'root-fellas' to a 'sudo' model
so that they can have *most* of what they need, without allowing identity
switches ?  I was trying to come up with something clever, but if they're
root, they're root.

--Scott Mead
scottm@openscg.com
http://www.openscg.com