Re: Regarding the shared disk fail over cluster configuration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: Regarding the shared disk fail over cluster configuration
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Debasis Mishra <debasis1982@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks a lot Ondrej Ivanic.I have few more doubts.

1)While installing the postgress it asks for the data directory,which i
refer to SAN volume(Shared LUN)-(example - /dbdata/pgsqldata).

After that i am exporting $PGDATA= SAN Volume(example - /dbdata/pgsqldata).
Where /dbdata is the shared LUN .

Then I am running initdb - but it is not running successfully. The Error is
/dbdata/pgsqldata is not empty.

Because I can understand while installation postgress creates
files/directory in the data folder. While running initdb also it is trying
to create some directory which is already present.

So I am not sure how to go ahead with this scenario.

It seems that your installer has already created the data for you.  If you have files like:

  postgresql.conf
  base/
  pg_xlog/

 Then your postgres data directory is already initialized, no need for initdb.

2) Regarding the shared disk failover clustering you mentioned that if
primary fails , cluster should bring it down and start postgres in secondary
node.

My doubt is - Whether cluster should start the postgres service in secondary
node during failover or postgress will be running always. My undersatnding
was in both the node postgress will be running and pointing to shared
dbdata. And if node1/primary fails then cluster software should bring
node2/secondary up.once it will bring node2 online there postgress must be
running already.

Is this feasible?

Do not do this.  At first glance, you can actually run in this configuration (i.e. you can start the postmasters) but it will cause data corruption.  DO NOT under ANY circumstances try to run both primary and secondary on the same data directory simultaneously.  You will corrupt your entire database.  The only way to run postgres with shared disk clustering is in Active/Passive mode.

--
 Scott Mead

Thanks,
Debasis