Re: debugger from superuser only.... why? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Luca Ferrari
Subject Re: debugger from superuser only.... why?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 1:28 PM Alexander Petrossian
<alexander.petrossian@gmail.com> wrote:
> SELECT * FROM pldbg_set_global_breakpoint(1, 65695, -1, NULL);
>
> ERROR: must be a superuser to create a breakpoint
>

> I am wondering why is this, why not allow debugging for non-privileged users?

Again, I'm suspecting that this debugger works by performing a
sandboxing and attaching your session back. In order to communicate
back and forth, you probably need such privileges.
You should ask the developers why they need such privileges, or dig
the code by yourself.

> SELECT setting
> FROM pg_settings
> WHERE name = 'shared_preload_libraries';

nothing to debug at all in here

> SELECT * FROM (SELECT
>                    t_namespace.nspname,
>                    t_extension.extname,
>                    t_extension.extversion
>                FROM pg_extension t_extension
>                         JOIN pg_namespace t_namespace ON t_extension.extnamespace = t_namespace.oid)q;

ditto

> SELECT * FROM (SELECT pid,
>                       application_name,
>                       usename,
>                       client_addr
>                FROM pg_stat_activity
>                WHERE application_name = 'idea_debugger'
>                  AND pid <> pg_backend_pid())q;

nothing to debug in here

> SELECT * FROM pldbg_create_listener();

uh oh, it mentions a listener...then there must be some "sender"
somehwere, that probably needs privileges.

Luca