Re: [OT] why not keeping the original column name in catalog after a drop? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Luca Ferrari
Subject Re: [OT] why not keeping the original column name in catalog after a drop?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> The old name might not fit there, attribute names have a relatively low
> maximum length (64 by default), so we cannot always fit the entire old
> name there.

Thanks, I was guessing this.

> Also, think about:
> CREATE TABLE foo(cola int);
> ALTER TABLE foo DROP COLUMN cola;
> ALTER TABLE foo ADD COLUMN cola;
> ALTER TABLE foo DROP COLUMN cola; -- should not error out

Well, I was talking about appending the original column name, and
therefore the above should have been respectively  pg.dropped.1.cola.
and pg.dropped.2.cola. Of course the original name is not very much
interesting, I was just curios about the conflicts.

Luca