Re: General 'big data' advice.... - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Luca Ferrari
Subject Re: General 'big data' advice....
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM, James David Smith
<james.david.smith@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Is PostgreSQL going to be able to cope with this? In terms of the
> table size? I think so...

Yes.

> 2) My columns will be something like
> person_id integer,
> person_timestamp timestamp,
> person_location_geom geometry
> Any thoughts on those? The format of the columns?

I would think about partitioning data on person_id (ranges) or
person_timestamp (ranges) so to have a few smaller tables than a huge
table.

> 3) I'll probably create a Primary Key which is a combination of
> person_id and person_timestamp. Does this sound like a good idea?

Is the same person at different timestamps a different person for your logic?

> 4) Should I use some indexes to improve performance maybe?

It depends on which queries you are going to run, on which is
organized your database (partitioning or not) and other details.

Luca