Re: Accommodating alternative column values - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Torsten Förtsch
Subject Re: Accommodating alternative column values
Date
List pgsql-general
You could try

ALTER TABLE ... SET TYPE TEXT[] USING ARRAY[email]::TEXT[]

something along these lines.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 3:58 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jul 2024, Christophe Pettus wrote:

> To be clear, I wasn't suggesting stuffing them all into a text column with
> a delimiter, but storing them in a text *array* field, each email address
> one component of the array.

Christophe,

I'm not using the proper syntax and the postgres alter table doc has no
example in the alter column choices.

What I've tried:
bustrac=# alter table people alter column email set data type varchar(64) [];
ERROR:  column "email" cannot be cast automatically to type character varying[]
HINT:  You might need to specify "USING email::character varying(64)[]".

How do I incorporate the "USING email::..." string?

TIA,

Rich