Re: Are file system level differential/incremental backups possible? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Hatfield
Subject Re: Are file system level differential/incremental backups possible?
Date
List pgsql-general
> The base backup necessary to initialize a warm standby server is a full file system backup of the database, which can
alsobe used for restores to any point in time after the base backup is completed, assuming you also have all the
archivedWAL files.

Thanks to both of  you.  I currently use the base backup technique for
use with a warm standby server but was not aware I could use that for
full file system level backups as well.

In fact, I currently run a warm standby server (created from a base
backup every several weeks) as well as stop/start the pg process to do
a full file system level copy each night.  If I think about this a
bit, I'm sure there's a more efficient way of doing this.  (As well as
may solve another problem I'm having (another post) with the standby
server's database getting corrupt after stopping/starting the
primary's pg process.)