Re: Creating redwood datestyle in Postgres 12 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tim
Subject Re: Creating redwood datestyle in Postgres 12
Date
List pgsql-admin
I suppose that would be possible, but maintaining date triggers + views across a large database would be a lot of work. I'm just one humble DBA and there is 15-20 devs

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 5:21 AM Paul Smith <paul@pscs.co.uk> wrote:
On 25/03/2021 12:38, Tim wrote:
> Its a native ORACLE date formatting which shows like this: 08-JAN-99
> 04:05:06  set in the datestyle config param.
>
> Currently running on EDB Advanced Server 12 which allows it as a
> datestyle configuration setting, but looking to migrate off of there
> to native postgres pretty soon and was hoping there was some way to
> have the same setting globally in native postgres. Which is starting
> to look like is not possible.
Could you create views/rules/triggers to do the conversions for you?

Eg, if you have a table 'invoices', then create a view 'invoices_' and
set it to set your formatting, and use rules to allow updates/inserts
via that view. That might need less changes to the code.

--
Paul
Paul Smith Computer Services

--