Re: Pgbackrest specifying the default DB necessary/correct way ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From KK CHN
Subject Re: Pgbackrest specifying the default DB necessary/correct way ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Very helpful.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2024 at 5:51 PM Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 28, 2024 at 1:39 AM KK CHN <kkchn.in@gmail.com> wrote:
In this DB server    I have other databases  than the default  "edb" database.     Specifying the above line as    pg1-database=edb   // I am not sure this line is necessary  or not ?

The pgbackrest process needs to connect to the database, which means it needs a user and database. You need this variable if you do not have the default database, "postgres". If you have a database named postgres, you can leave this out. Otherwise, yes, it is necessary.

 pg1-database=edb // specifying like this, will it block other databases  on this server to get backed up ?   IF yes how can I overcome this ?

pgBackRest works on a cluster level, so *all* the databases are backed up. Indeed, it is not possible to only backup some of the databases. It's the whole cluster.

 ( I am just learning and exploring PgbackRest)  found online some reference configurations so using like this )

Probably best to stick to the official docs; this section in particular is worth a read:

Cheers,
Greg