Re: [HACKERS] PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Pavel Stehule wrote:

> Identification of unjoined tables should be very useful - but it is far to
> original proposal - so it can be solved separately.
>
> This patch is simple - and usually we prefer more simple patches than one
> bigger.
>
> Better to enhance this feature step by step.

Agreed -- IMO this is a reasonable first step, except that I would
rename the proposed extension so that it doesn't focus solely on the
first step.  I'd pick a name that suggests that various kinds of checks
are applied to queries, so "require_where" would be only one of various
options that can be enabled.

A general SQL-Critic would be a very welcome extension.