pages_in_range for BRIN index - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David Harrigan
Subject pages_in_range for BRIN index
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

I'm having difficulty in trying to understand the value I should use for
`pages_in_range` when creating a BRIN index. I have data coming in, nearly 3-4
rows per second with an ever increasing `created` timestamp. Perfect for a
BRIN index to save on space :-).

I gathered some data (at time of query) on the table I'm interested in:

Size (bytes): 16130588672
Pages: 1969066
Rows: 48215073
Rows/Page: 24

At the moment, the column I'm indexing on, created, has a BTREE index on it,
and it's over 2GB in size!

What would I need to do to go about choosing an appropriate value for
pages_in_range?

Lastly, is it necessary to run a `vacuum analyse freeze` before/after
index creation?

Thank you!

-=david=-

I prefer encrypted and signed messages.
GPG Fingerprint: 110AF423364754E2880FADAD1C5285BFB20A22F9

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a number of electrons were inconvenienced.

This email is sent without prejudice.