Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results. - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dinesh Kumar
Subject Re: Password setting having somewhat bizarre results.
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi John,

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM, John Foelster <johnfoelster@comcast.net> wrote:

Apologies that this got sent to Dinesh rather than the mailing list.  L

Hi Dinesh,

Sorry, I reread my original request for help and it was extremely unclear as I wrote it.

Basically, I was using the PGAdmin interface to set passwords, and the interface reported that I had set them successfully, but when I attempted to login using those passwords, I was not allowed to do so.

OK. I have done a quick test in my local windows 7.

1. I have logged into PG 9.2 as a super user("postgres").
2. Created new login role by performing right click on "Login Role" - > "Create New Login".
3. Entered the new login name and password.
4. Disconnected from pgAdmin and re-logged in the pgAdmin using above created logins, and i am able to connect.

Kindly let me know, if this approach what i have followed is improper.

The psqlODBC migration went more or less as planned once I stopped using the created logins and used a connection to the default user postgres.

After this had been completed, I started experimenting with the created logins to see what had gone wrong, and this experimentation included resetting the password on the default postgres user using the same interface.  I then logged out and logged back in with that new password and was locked out with zero working logins.

So the problem is that pgAdmin is changing my passwords, it’s just setting them to something other than what I tell it to.  I suspect this is a misunderstanding on my part of how the process is supposed to work based on my Microsoft product background specifically related to the MD5 encryption system.  I used the ALTER ROLE SQL command to do the same thing and it appears to have had the same behavior.  The data is certainly secure, at any rate, no one can login.  J

Would you mind to confirm this by following below steps.

Modify the pg_hba.conf to MD5 authentication.

1) Go to PG 9.2 installed location (Ex: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\bin)

3) Create a new test role using "CREATE ROLE <role name> WITH LOGIN PASSWORD '<plain password>'".

4) Logout from that "psql" client by entering "\q and then enter" in the command pr
ompt.

I swapped the authentication method to “trust” so I could at least get some work done locally while my collaborators are waiting for the security to work.  Of course I also seem not to have set up the public service properly…

I did mention that I was an Analyst and a bit out of my depth in the DBA role, right?  J

:) Sorry, it was my bad interpretation.

Dinesh

--
Dinesh Kumar
Software Engineer

Ph: +918087463317
Skype ID: dinesh.kumar432
www.enterprisedb.com

Follow us on Twitter

@EnterpriseDB

Visit EnterpriseDB for tutorials, webinars, whitepapers and more