Re: Server status SQL highlighted in dark orange - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dinesh Kumar
Subject Re: Server status SQL highlighted in dark orange
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM, Campbell, Lance <lance@illinois.edu> wrote:

pgAdmin 3 1.18.1

PostgreSQL 9.2

I am having issues with a query getting “stuck” while doing updates.  So I went to Server Status in pgAdmin.  I found the query was highlighted in dark orange.  When a query appears to get hung up and won’t finish what steps should I take to figure out what is happening?

I believe, pgAdmin support of blocked/waiting queries. If a query got stuck, then use the tool to check whether it is waiting on other transaction or not.

OR

Use this query to get that information.

SELECT now()::timestamp,waiting.locktype AS  waiting_locktype,waiting.relation::regclass::VARCHAR AS
waiting_table,waiting_stm.Datname as WDatabase,waiting_stm.current_query  AS waiting_query,(extract(epoch
from now())­extract(epoch from waiting_stm.query_start))::VARCHAR AS Waiting_Stmt_Total_Time,waiting.mode AS waiting_mode,waiting.pid::VARCHAR AS waiting_pid,other.locktype::VARCHAR AS
other_locktype,other.relation::regclass::VARCHAR   AS other_table,other_stm.Datname::VARCHAR as  ODatabase,other_stm.current_query AS other_query,(extract(epoch from
now())­extract(epoch from other_stm.query_start))::VARCHAR AS
Other_Stmt_Total_Time,other.mode AS other_mode,other.pid::VARCHAR AS
other_pid,other.granted::VARCHAR AS other_granted FROM
pg_catalog.pg_locks AS waiting JOIN pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity AS
waiting_stm ON (waiting_stm.procpid = waiting.pid) JOIN pg_catalog.pg_locks AS other On ((waiting.database = other.database AND waiting.relation  = other.relation) OR waiting.transactionid =
other.transactionid) JOIN pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity AS other_stm ON (other_stm.procpid = other.pid) WHERE NOT waiting.granted AND waiting.pid <> other.pid;

I have checked the database logs and there does not seem to be an issue.  Is there some way I could tell PostgreSQL through pgAdmin to give me more information on why the query is stuck?  Is there a way to get more analytic information on the query while it is running?

By enabling this parameter "log_lock_waits" in the postgresql.conf, we will get locks information in pg_logs.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs

217-333-0382

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign logo

Attachment