Re: Partition prune with stable Expr - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andy Fan
Subject Re: Partition prune with stable Expr
Date
Re: Partition prune with stable Expr  (Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 7:15 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 4:46 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for showing an interest in partition pruning. Unfortunately,
>> it's not possible to use stable functions to prune partitions during
>> planning.

> Sigh.. I understand you now, I ignored the plan can be cached for later use.
> Without that,  we should be able to prune with stable function.

No, that's still wrong.  The contract for a stable function is that
its result won't change over execution of a single query; but that
says *execution*, not *planning and execution*.

In particular, the canonical example of a stable function is one
whose result depends on a database query.  The reason it can be
considered stable is that within a single outer query, the MVCC
snapshot it's used with won't change.  But we take a new snapshot
(later than the planner's snapshot) when beginning execution.

Somebody (Robert Haas, if memory serves, which it might not)
tried to change that a few years ago.  It blew up pretty well,
and was eventually reverted, because of undesirable side-effects
on user-visible query semantics.  You'd have to check the archives
for details.

It's possible that we could make that work differently in serializable
mode, thanks to the longer persistence of snapshots.  Not sure that
it'd be desirable for planning to work differently in serializable
mode, though.

                        regards, tom lane

Well, that's very interesting.  Specific to my user case,
SELECT * FROM p WHERE pkey = to_date('2018-12-13', 'yyyy-mm-dd)';
p has 1500+ partitions and planning takes lots of time, which is so same
with SELECT * FROM p WHERE pkey = '2018-12-13',  however the planning
time difference is so huge, that doesn't make sense in human view.  Can
we do something for that?  to_date(text, text) should be a "immutable" function
IMO.  Does that have a semantic issue or other issues?

--
Best Regards
Andy Fan